The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
baytril show skin growth western plant Bead bubble pond electricity shape babies face white 2011 pumps dealers cape SPOTS foam Dimilin filter dropsy food salt plants
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Treatment for Flukes EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Treatment for Flukes EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Treatment for Flukes EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Treatment for Flukes EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Treatment for Flukes EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Treatment for Flukes EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Treatment for Flukes EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Treatment for Flukes EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Treatment for Flukes EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Treatment for Flukes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Charl Jacobs

Treatment for Flukes Empty
PostSubject: Treatment for Flukes   Treatment for Flukes EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 8:18 am

Morning everybody. Found my koi has fluke last week. Could you please assist.
This is what we have done. Day one. UV light off. Boosted salt too .3. Dosed Fluke away (150 ml on app 22000l) DAY 4. Did water change (salt to .1) Used Malachite green and Formulin. Day 6. Boosted the salt to .3 again and used 200ml Fluke away. (Done on Sunday). Do you agree with treatment and must I now drop the salt again and use Malachite green. One of my smaller koi is not happy at all. Grumpy(the wife) is scared that we will cause chemical burns to the fish. I am going to have the koi tested again this weekend. In the beginning, of the 17 koi, only one flashed now and then. They all ate when feeded. I asked a local dealer to test all and after checking a couple of koi, determined all had fluke. Any advice is reatly appreciated
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Treatment for Flukes   Treatment for Flukes EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 11:15 am

Charl,

Do you want to kill your Koi..............................!!!?? Shocked Using all that different chemicals could do more harm then good.

When treating Skin flukes it is normally only necessary to apply treatment once. There are numerous proprietary medications which are designed to treat flukes. All with varying results. An alternative to these is to use malachite green and formalin at a dose rate depending on the strength of the solution, be sure that water temperature is above 11*C , between 11*C and 7*C considering the use of Potassium Permanganate

Doses: Once only
Skin flukes:
*Salt 5kg/1000lt together with 1g/10 000lt Malachite green or
* Malachite green and Formalin as mentioned above.
* Seponver Plus 4,4ml/ 1000lt water
* Potassium Permanganate 2,5 g /1000lt water ( mix Pot.P in a (plastic ) bucket with Hot water first)

Gill flukes:
*Potassium Permanganate 1,5g/1000lt water ( mix in Hot water ) use (plastic ) bucket repeat every 5-7days over period of three weeks.
* Seponver Plus 4,4 ml/1000lt repeat after 5 days – 2,2ml/1000lt

You can use salt 1kg /1000lt with Seponver Plus
WARNING Never use salt and formalin or Potassium Permanganate and formalin together

I think Seponver Plus works the best
Back to top Go down
Charl Jacobs

PostSubject: Treatment for Flukes   Treatment for Flukes EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 11:29 am

Thanks for your response. A local dealer instructed us to do it this way. It is even in the instructions on the Fluke away bottle. Wys jou net!!!!! Should I do a water change and then keep the salt at .3 - to get rid of all the medicine ? I hope our "kids" are going to be ok.

Wil keep a copy of your response for future use. Thanks again
Kind regards
Charl
Back to top Go down
Charl Jacobs

PostSubject: Re: Treatment for Flukes   Treatment for Flukes EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 9:04 am

Can somebody please tell me where can I find Seponver Plus. After my "killer treatment", I still have two koi flashing. I am also looking at getting a microscope to identify diseases
Thanks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Treatment for Flukes   Treatment for Flukes EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 9:17 am

Hi,
Ek kry myne by www.vetprodutsonline.co.za

Gaan kyk gerus hier:
http://www.vetproductsonline.co.za/products/sheep-goats/worming-medications
Back to top Go down
Charl Jacobs

PostSubject: Re: Treatment for Flukes   Treatment for Flukes EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 10:05 am

Baie dankie Pieter. Gaan dit nou opsoek
Groete
Back to top Go down
Chris Neaves

PostSubject: Re: Treatment for Flukes   Treatment for Flukes EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 6:41 am

Hi Charl,

The treatments Pieter recommended are one OR the other. Not everything as the dealer recommended. You can treat with one then after a time the second one etc.

As with any parasite you do the treatment you have decided on 3 times. Once every 5 - 7 days. This is to catch the parasite in its cycle.

However, the treatment Pieter recommends is usually very effective and can be done as a once off. When I did that to my koi collection about 5 years ago the flukes were gone after 6 hours.

Make sure you know your volumes. And how did you get back to your salt level? Was this after a 100% water change.

The Malachite Green and Formalin eliminates a lot of other parasites and perhaps the dealer was being cautious and suggesting a preventative treatment?

What are the active ingredients of Fluke Away? It must have it on the bottle. Is it not seponver?

"Medicines" we treat our koi with are poisons in limited dosages.

Remember you cannot hear koi scream under water.

Chris

Back to top Go down
Charl Jacobs

PostSubject: Re: Treatment for Flukes   Treatment for Flukes EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks Chris
Now my &^%$ kids have White spot. We had a lot of snow one day and a couple of days later the water was about 16 deg. I now have them on a anti bac treatment (advised by a local dealer). 3 treatments 3 days apart. This morning
they seemed ok. When scraped for the white spot, no flukes were found. What's next?

The salt levels were brought down with fairly big water changes and then salt added again when advised too.

I am just surprised that white spot followed so soon after the flukes as the treatment is quite similair. I suppose that is where cycles come into it.
Next time I am going to skip spring. Put them in a clinic or something. ha ha
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Treatment for Flukes   Treatment for Flukes EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 10:17 am

If I suspect parasites, I immediately do a scrape. Not advisable it to go for a shotgun approach, and as mentioned, avoid mixing treatments.

If I find Fluke only, one treatment of Seponver plus eradicate 99.5% of them.

If I find fluke and/or protozoal parasites like White spot, Costia, Trichodenia etc, I go for FMC (Malachite green and Formalin) provided that the salt levels are not too high. You have to repeat the treatment after 7 days to also sort out the newly hatched parasites.

If I suspect a bacterial infection together with the parasites, I go for the Potassium route. (5 treatments or at least until I can maintain a pinkish color for at least 4 hours)

You say that you do not have fluke anymore, so your next step would be the FMC route, but if you suspect that secondary bacterial infection started as a result of the parasites, rather go the Potassium route.

Keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
Charl Jacobs

PostSubject: Re: Treatment for Flukes   Treatment for Flukes EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 11:56 am

Thanks Admin
Much appreciated. Will keep you updated. Had the koi scraped before both treatments but used two different dealers. Need that microscope sooner than later I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Mrbig

PostSubject: Fluke   Treatment for Flukes EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum n koi keeping. In late november i noticed some if my koi's flashing n white spots on some of the fishes. Got fishes diagnose with fluke. Treated them with 2 doses of dimilin of 10gm per 10,000liters of water.
All the fishes looks n behave better after the first treatment. Except 1 small koi thats did show a little improvement. Over the month now n this koi has not shown any improvement in size n i have not seen it eating. Occasinally it will swim alone n at the surface of the pond for a long time. Help, any treatment for the 1 poor fish. I've noticed white spots again on one of the kois.
How else can i avoid the fish getting fluke n white spots again.
Cheers,
Jo
Back to top Go down
Miya Oki Koi

Miya Oki Koi

PostSubject: Re: Treatment for Flukes   Treatment for Flukes EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 8:36 am

Hi Jo
My advice for you is to get a microscope or borrow one if you can. Then take a scrape of the fish and tell us what you see. Then we will be able to advice you. It sounds to me that you use the wrong treatment on the wrong parasites. From the beginning of September month until beginning of winter you need to take extra special care of water quality. This will help you combat the outbreak of parasites Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mrbig

PostSubject: Re: Treatment for Flukes   Treatment for Flukes EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I did get the local vet to do a scrape n look under a microscope. Thats how the fishes were diagnose with fluke.
Sadly to say the sickly koi did not make it. On close inspection of the body, looks like discoloration n loss of slime on its body. All the other fishes in the pond looks fine n eating well.
Cheers,
Jo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Treatment for Flukes   Treatment for Flukes Empty

Back to top Go down

Treatment for Flukes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1