The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
show electricity pond skin dealers face white shape plants dropsy Dimilin salt growth bubble SPOTS food foam filter pumps Bead western baytril 2011 cape babies plant
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
My pond, koi and fish story EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
My pond, koi and fish story EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
My pond, koi and fish story EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
My pond, koi and fish story EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
My pond, koi and fish story EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
My pond, koi and fish story EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
My pond, koi and fish story EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
My pond, koi and fish story EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
My pond, koi and fish story EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

My pond, koi and fish story

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Neli

Neli

My pond, koi and fish story Empty
PostSubject: My pond, koi and fish story   My pond, koi and fish story EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 10:26 pm

Hi every one!
This is my first post from Zambia. I saw your posts, it seems u are all serious about Koi.
Thats good provided u dont sneer , and demean us beginners.I am a single lady, have a house in jbg, but live in Zambia. I made my pond, alone with my gardeners.Did not know how to do it, but tried on trial and error bases. (it leaks he he he). It is now a year old. I dont know if it was leaking before or it was normal, but i was toping it ones or twice a month, now after i cleaned it, I have to top every 3 days???.Here in Zambia we dont have for sale any of the things you are talking about.(gadgets), so I had to improvise. Combined with the fact that that I know little about ponds.....I am not sure what i did, if it is good enough, what to expect. Half of the things u talk about, I dont understand, and I feel my pond is a total disaster.(thats after I saw ur posts)
).I did some reading on the net before i made it, but having a bacground of an engineer, and a big head, thought could do it.It has an island on the middle, water fall and 2 home made water features (I drilled some holes on big round rocks and put pipes inside), and a small river on one side.
I dont know how many litres it is, but is average 1m deep.I bought a big pool pump in RSA and having a big head and limited knowlage, I made a undergravel filter. (I used to have an aquarium, so I thought undergravel filter will be useful).
So I made a provision on one side of the pond for it, a small apendix (pool), deeper than the rest , with the intake of the pump near the edge of this small pool. I piled big rocks on top, plastic netting, then about 40 cm of crushed stones, plastic net again and on top a very corse river sand well sieved and washed. for a good measure I planted some arums in the sand.The stone, and sand layers are parallel to each other and and sloping towards the bottom.
My pond is always crystal clear, though there is some mad on the bottom.
I came to rsa and bought a truck load of plants for my garden and some water lilies, for the pond. Now fish I could not bring, for I was driving.
Where to get fish.There were No shops here for fish (They just opened one)(They bring the fish from RSA, U should see prices).So I decided to go and "fish" in my son in law's pond, while he was in England. All the fish, was comets, but there were 2 very big gold fishes, I managed to catch and take home.One was white, and the other one red and white. As soon as I brought them home, they starting chasing each other and dancing. I thought they are mating, so I quickly went and put in one corner some grass, and they deposited lots of eggs on it. I put stones around, since I sow that the gold fish was eating the eggs, and started feeding with egg yolk, ones a day I put about like a match stick head.
Not so long after that I got a phone call from my daughter: Mom, my husband is crying that someone stole his two koi, which he flew from RSA.
Ma ma ma, did I even know that was a koi? I apologizes, and negotiated with him to allow me one more round of repopulating, and took the fish back to his pond. he he he.That was 6 month ago. Now I have a pond full of "ugly" (I know thats what u will say) koi, that I love to bits. they are over 30 cm long, and very healthy. Today I sow them dancing in the valisneria, and it looked as if they were breeding again. Can that be possible? (6 month old?). Will check for eggs tomorrow and let u know.Now that I looked at ur kois, I can tell u mine look nothing, like yours. they are all kind of colors,some just one color, some multicolored, but very shiny, and beautiful (to me). I cook for them ones a week, (spinach and other veggies, with chicken liver and mealy meal),frreze it, and feed them every day.
now I failed to post a picture of my pond. Will try again tomorrow.
Here is a link:
My pond, koi and fish story 156928071031489

https://www.facebook.com/notes/garden-and-home-society-zambia/simple-garden-feature-i-made-at-home-neli/156928071031489
Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

PostSubject: Re: My pond, koi and fish story   My pond, koi and fish story EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 11:15 pm

I failed to post the picture. Please let me know if u can see the link. It is on fb.
Now here are my questions:
Advise, comment, suggest please. How can i improve.
U have infected me with a desire for your beautiful koi. so I will come to RSA to buy some. But I better be ready with proper filtration???, so those expensive koi dont die.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My pond, koi and fish story   My pond, koi and fish story EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 9:01 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. I really like your pond. I love the natural look. Congratulations on a job well done.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
Neli

Neli

PostSubject: Thanks Paul   My pond, koi and fish story EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 7:48 am

Darling,
thanks for the reply.
Can u answer this please?
Why did i fail to post a picture of my pond?(Was it too big?)
Do u know that u are highly infectious people? (but lovely)
Is my pond ok for keeping Koi (expensive ones).
I dont have any diseases in my pond (i think and I know a bit since I used to have Aquarium sickness)
Is it ok what I am feeding my fish (chicken liver +lots of greens+mealy meal well cooked and mushed) My fish finishes it in seconds and they are over 35cm in 6 month. I give it to them frozen)
Is my filtration ok? My filter pond is about 2.5m x 1.5m and about 1.7m deep. I want to remove the sand and put on top of the crushed stones some duve filling (white fluffy2 inch sheet of some artofficial fiber. and sprincle some sand on top to mask it. will that be better? I saw on the net they made a filter with similar fiber. My pond to date is crystal clear, but about ammonia and nitrates dont know. I also made my own vacuum cleaner for the pond.
Did you see my home made water feature on facebook? Did you like it?
I have some asbestos ponds that I can use as guaranteen tanks.
Can I import some fish from you, and how much it will cost?(very very good ones and cheap ones for sale)They will need to be very small for easy transportation, and not too expensive the first time so we see how it will go (if they will die too much). I will try to sale my other koi if yours survive.
I imported from RSA fish for my aquarium twice, and though it was very stressed and some of it died and got all kind of diseases the majority survived.I medicated them in isolation tank.
I only needed a import permit from vet department and had no problems what so ever on the border. It was air frighted.
So All you will need to do is pack and ship it after i fax u the import permit and payment. Maybe I can ask some friends to join my order so we can make it bigger, or even put an add in the paper.I dont think I will have problems selling them. People here dont know any thing about koi. So I will sale mine when yours arive, and if they go well order some more cheap ones for sale and good ones for me (he he he) (bad woman)(it is called business)
Please advise!
I AM SENDING YOU A LINK TO MY WATER FALL AND WATER FEATURE WHICH I MADE AT HOME MYSELF. THERE IS INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE THE WATER FEATURE, AND WILL POST SOON HOW TO MAKE THE WATERFALL.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Garden-and-home-Society-Zambia/156086261115670?sk=photos
Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

PostSubject: EMAIL ME WITH PRICES FOR YOUR FISH FOR SALE.   My pond, koi and fish story EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 7:54 am

NNNNEEEELLLLIIII@ YAHOO.COM
SMALLEST POSSIBLE SIZES FOR EASY TRANSPORTATION.
VERY VERY GOOD FISH FOR MY SELF
AND CHIP ONES FOR RESALE
PLEASE INDICATE WHICH TYPES (TRIBES) U HAVE FOR SALE.
THERE ARE SOME I REALY LIKED FOR MY SELF BUT DONT KNOW IF U WILL HAVE THEM.
Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

PostSubject: Admin   My pond, koi and fish story EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 8:19 am

Admin thanks!
Can I please come and see your Koi pond, when I come to RSA? I have never seen a real Koi pond, and such big Koi?
Any one on this forum, that is willing to let me see his pond and koi? It will be like visiting chelsey flower show for me.Please! JBG or near by only.
I am not a Nigerian skammer. U can check me up on FB if u search with my email:
nnnneeeelllliiii@yahoo.com
I am actually a singer, and some of my songs were hits in RSA.
I am a white lady.
If u go to 4shared and search for NeliZambia you will find some of my songs there.
I do the music part just for fun, and donate all proceeds to charity.
I am a former University lecturer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My pond, koi and fish story   My pond, koi and fish story Empty

Back to top Go down

My pond, koi and fish story

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Koi Forum :: Koi appreciation :: Photo gallery-