The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
2011 cape filter foam plant salt pond growth plants Dimilin dealers dropsy face babies bubble Bead white electricity skin food baytril show shape SPOTS western pumps
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Bakki showers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chris Neaves

Bakki showers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bakki showers   Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 7:07 pm

Hi Marius,

Many years ago Dr Neville Marais had an up flow filter chamber which was working very well. He decided to test a trickle filter concept. All he did was T off his inlet from the pump at the side of teh filter chamber (this pushed the water to the bottom of the filter chamber) and run a second pipe up to the top of the filter chamber - actually about 800mm above the top of the chamber.

He built a scaffold of piping to hold coke crates about 20cm above the level of the water. Into this scaffold he placed a row of coke crates and piped the new water nlet into a spray bar which ran across the top of the crates.

The crates were filled with palstic - I cannot recall which plastic - but they were stuffed full of plastic. The water was sprayed over the cartes and cascaded down onto of the water coming up through the stone bed.

The water rising and the water cascading downwards mixed and returned to the pond through the existing returns. These were several 110 mm pipes.

Very easy and very cheap for masses of extra oxygen and extra filtration.

Regards,
Chris
Back to top Go down
Colin Hunt

Colin Hunt

PostSubject: Re: Bakki showers   Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 9:49 pm

Hi Marius,

I am sure you have seen my bakki shower on this thread. I have a similar one on my main pond which is situated after my settlement chamber and bio filter. A 0.25 kw pump picks up the water from the last chamber of the bio filter and pumps it through the bakki shower and cascades into a chamber where it is pumped via 0.75 kw to two sand filters, two bio filters, UV's and back to the pond. It has great results and works well. This was the only way I could make use of a Bakki shower as my pond is at the front door to the house and did not want an unsightly filter there.
Back to top Go down
Johann Jacobs

Johann Jacobs

PostSubject: Filter media bakki shower    Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 9:49 am

I like all the photos it realy helps to get the creative juices going.
What and in what order would you put in the bakki shower as filter media
Also where can I get oyster shells?
If I have hard water (from borehole) would I need oyster shells?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bakki showers   Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 3:58 pm

According to me the order of media in a bakki shower does not make a real difference.

I like kaldness but there are so many media on the market, Alfagrog, Bio Balls, Hair curlers, Plastic shavings, etc etc. All with different surface area for media to grow. All depends on your budget and availability.

If you have a low pH, the Oyster shells will assist, if your pH is high, it will do nothing, except create a bit of surface area for bacteria, although the surface area is not good compared to other media.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bakki showers   Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 5:53 pm

The most symple bakki shower. Took me a 15 minutes to get it operational. R 56 per bin from Plastic for Africa, a few bucks for the bio media, and a lot more additional filtration.

Bakki showers - Page 2 Bakki-n
Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

PostSubject: Re: Bakki showers   Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 3:58 pm

Admin I know We are supposed to be serious here, but I guess We can make an exception for my bakki...
I made it out of old beer crates (free), rather extra large in size, media???? dont ask! Put inside what I could find here...broken bricks one line, gravel another...and izeki ... since I am the izeki lady.
I managed to swizz a foam collector at the end of it..
Attachments
004 (640x480) (2).jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(142 Kb) Downloaded 42 times
006 (640x480).jpg
(114 Kb) Downloaded 29 times
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bakki showers   Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 9:18 am

Very practical and cheap. I also considered using beer crates. If I take my crates back to the bottle stoor, I only get R 30.00 each. Much less than what I pay for at places selling crates. Problem, I don't drink that much beer.
Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

PostSubject: Re: Bakki showers   Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 8:41 am

I dont drink at all! I have a tenant...rents a night club from me. He gave them to me for free.
I get lots of freebies from my tenants...Imagine one sells cell phones....
Back to top Go down
fischerchem

PostSubject: Re: Bakki showers   Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 8:15 am

Admin wrote:
Very practical and cheap. I also considered using beer crates. If I take my crates back to the bottle stoor, I only get R 30.00 each. Much less than what I pay for at places selling crates. Problem, I don't drink that much beer.

This is my Bakki shower
Attachments
Bakki shower4.jpg
(66 Kb) Downloaded 31 times
Back to top Go down
http://www.forwardsea.com
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: Bakki showers   Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 9:21 pm

Hey fischerchem

Looks good!

Question, where did you get that tray from and what media is that in there?
Back to top Go down
fischerchem

PostSubject: Re: Bakki showers   Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 7:16 am

Cliff wrote:
Hey fischerchem

Looks good!

Question, where did you get that tray from and what media is that in there?

the media is far infrared bacteria house

The bakki shower is from China, if you are interesting in it, Very Happy let me know, we could supply 7 sizes.
Attachments
high quality bacteria house.JPG
(62 Kb) Downloaded 8 times
Back to top Go down
http://www.forwardsea.com
Dbnguy

Dbnguy

PostSubject: Re: Bakki showers   Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 3:49 pm

Hey Guys,

Ok so this is DEFINITELY the route I will be adopting in my new pond, rather than the conventional submerged type filter.

One question though, if my pond size is going to be about 35 000 liters, how many crates would I need to sustain the pond?

I was thinking about getting 2 towers of 5 crates each. (Bottom crate empty to allow water to drain back tot he pond, but the 4 above it will be fulled with bio balls.)

Now looking at some pics, it seems that this may be a tad overkill. I see most people only have 1 tower of about 4 - 5 crates for quite large ponds...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lee
Back to top Go down
fubar

PostSubject: Re: Bakki showers   Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Hi Lee,

I built a catchment area and suspended the bakkis above this. I think you would do very well with 2x 4tier (i have a 2x 2tier, and have not used my UV lights since. my pond is half the size of yours and overstocked). I have room for another tier, but the company that I bought the crates from are out of stock for now. I not a big fan of bio-balls, I prefer pumice and lava rock coz IMHO they are more porous and the bacteria seem to strive better in them). go to the market and get your hands on lots of veggie bags. make "pods" by filling veggie bags with other veggie bags - don't stuff them as you will need water to flow through them. I would suggest only these pods in the 1st tier if the bakki to trap bigger particles. in the second put 1 third pumice and pods on top of these and the remainder of the tiers fill them with 50% of pumice - this way you would only have to rinse the pods out and not the pumice. Pumice you can source from MUTIMEX in pinetown, they usually have a 25kg bag of 3-5cm stones for R255 ex vat.

all the best
V
Back to top Go down
Dbnguy

Dbnguy

PostSubject: Re: Bakki showers   Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 7:18 am

V thanks a million. I really appreciate the feedback!
Back to top Go down
quinten

quinten

PostSubject: Re: Bakki showers   Bakki showers - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 2:34 pm

Some very nice Bakki showers ,

And so easy to make to Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bakki showers   Bakki showers - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bakki showers

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next