The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
plants face shape foam SPOTS Dimilin cape Bead 2011 babies show small dealers dropsy clinofish pumps baytril salt bubble pond electricity food plant filter growth western
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
eugene.vdberg

UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? Empty
PostSubject: UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ?   UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 6:23 pm

Hi All

I am new to koi - this forum has helped me a lot since I inherited a koi pond. I have gained a lot of interest in koi and koi keeping.Thanks for all the members advice - so far!
I purchased a new house - with a existing koi pond. The more I read here - the more I realise the pond was not designed well. No bottom drain – I have a square form of a polly pipes (50 mm) with holes and slits in.
I have a 12 000L pond, 4000L top pond that flow into a 8000L big pond. I have replaced the pipes with proper blue PVC pipes. The pipes was 40mm polly pipe.
My filter setup is as follow -
.75KW pump - pond to 2bag sand filer (with new koi sand) to 2bag sand filter filled with 500 boi balls - to 1.2m, 3 tier water fall to pond.
I want to add back the 55w Ultra Zap UV. Where is the best place to fit the UV ?
1) before my sand filter ?
2) between my sand and Boi filter ?
3) after my Bio filter ?

Many Thanks !
Eugene
Back to top Go down
Marius Bezuidenhout

Marius Bezuidenhout

PostSubject: Re: UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ?   UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 6:27 pm

At the end where you have clean water.
Back to top Go down
Chris Maritz

Chris Maritz

PostSubject: Re: UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ?   UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 7:11 pm

Ek sekondeer met Marius...
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ?   UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi Eugene

After your bio filter, remember to install it such that it wont run dry, the globe should always be under water.
Back to top Go down
Marius Bezuidenhout

Marius Bezuidenhout

PostSubject: Re: UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ?   UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 7:27 pm

Also try to connect the wiring to your pump. You can have a switch for the UV to switch it on and off but take the power from the motor output. When ever you switch motor off the UV will be off as well. With the second switch you can switch uv on and off whenever you like.
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ?   UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 7:47 am

exactly as Marius has said. I have mine connected to my pump mains so that when the pump is off the UV is off as well, then have a on\off switch at the UV itself for me to switch on\off when I so chose.

You will need to add the UV after your bio filter just before the 3 tier waterfall
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ?   UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 12:01 pm

Why should a uv light be covered in water all the time ?
Back to top Go down
DJ

PostSubject: Re: UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ?   UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 2:03 pm

Jaco ek ken daai antwoord ,deur duur ondervinding geleer .As die tube aan is en droog is, word hy warm, sodra water weer oor hom loop disintigreer die middelste stuk van die tube, siedaar een duur bulp verder en jy het weer n UV lol! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ?   UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 4:03 pm

Nee ek bedoel kan 'n uv werk sonder om in water te wees ?
Antwoord is ja, het myne al bo my settlement chamber gehad, werk net so goed.
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

PostSubject: Re: UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ?   UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 6:08 pm

Exclamation Exclamation Die bulb van die Professional UltraZap Uv lig kom glad nie in aanraking met water nie Exclamation Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ?   UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 9:13 pm

Hi Jaco ek het nie n tegniese antwoord ek glo dit is nie n probleem vir hom om te brand sonder water, maar soos CJ se as hy aan is en kry water dan gaan hy bars. Dit is maar glas ne.

Bobby. Ek ken nie daai UV as ek weer UltraZap toe gaan dan sal ek tog kyk hoe hy werk.

Ek weet dat die biltong maak manne gebruik ook n tiepe UV om te verhoed dat die biltong muff. en hy werk beslis sonder water.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: UVs   UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 8:03 pm

UV lights operate optimally at 40C. The amount of effective UV emitted at this temperature is about double that at 20C. Hence, the Professional UV tube sold by Ultrazap which is enclosed in a quartz sleeve is identical to the standard unit but because of the quartz sleeve the bulb reaches a higher temperature.

Back to top Go down
eugene.vdberg

PostSubject: Re: UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ?   UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 4:10 pm

Thank you all for your advise. I have read study the green / brown alge (in the water) is so small that your sand filter wont trap them all - you should add the UV before your sand filter - when the UV kill the alge , the dead alge will cling together enabeling your filter to trap them better. Some of the diagrams I have seem also show the UV before the filter.

Anyone's thoughts on this ? scratch

Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ?   UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 4:19 pm

Hi Eugene

No way's can you place a normal UV sterilizer before the Sand filter. it is not designed for the pressures created in front of the filter. And there is no way it will kill the algae and clump it in that time and distance, it takes to enter the filter.
The Sand filter, if it has the correct koi sand or zeolite and fitted with the correct fingers will definitely trap all the solids you can send there.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ?   UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 4:29 pm

I agree, the back pressure that builds up between the pump and sand filter is too high for a UV. The UV should be the last item in the line apart from a venturi.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
eugene.vdberg

PostSubject: Re: UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ?   UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 9:33 pm

Thanks - I will do the mod this weekend - will add the UV after my Boi.
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ?   UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 8:30 am

also you always have little stones and other debris that ends up in your pond that gets sucked in via the bottom drain, which means if your UV is first in line it's going to come in contact with your UV which means you'll be replacing globes every second day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ?   UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ? Empty

Back to top Go down

UV - where is the best place to add the UV in my system ?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1