The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
SPOTS show 2011 baytril foam filter pond salt babies plant electricity western growth Dimilin food dealers face small plants Bead pumps shape dropsy clinofish cape bubble
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
*ahmed*

*ahmed*

Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? Empty
PostSubject: Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ???   Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 9:02 am

peaked through the window this morning , only to see this bird watching my koi. Should I be concerned bout it ?

Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? DSC00648
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ???   Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 9:10 am

Oh yes,

unless you train him like Colyn has done
Back to top Go down
Dave

PostSubject: Re: Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ???   Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 9:32 am

I bought some very nice kahakus, the next week I only had one. Even if you have a net over the pond they still poke your fish leaving holes in them.

So I would be concerned about this birdie.
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ???   Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 9:47 am

Lyk vir my na 'n hammer kop.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
Chris Maritz

Chris Maritz

PostSubject: Re: Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ???   Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 10:37 am

Yes you should worry.... The bird isn't sitting there admiring your koi, it wants to grab them.
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ???   Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 11:13 am

Ha ... looks like my Julius has gone for a visit Wink

Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? 20091122_Hamerkop_Frog_02

Yep you have to worry because they are powerful ... this one of the reasons you need a fairly high edge above the water level.

My brother has rigged electrical fence wire on the edge of his "formal" pool to keep these types of birds away.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.tripwired.co.za/index.php
*ahmed*

*ahmed*

PostSubject: Re: Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ???   Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 11:27 am

Eeeiiiisssshhhhhh lol!

my only solution would be a net ?
& its the first time I've seen this bird in Durban
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ???   Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 11:46 am

Lyk my darem hulle kan nie swem nie. cheers Maar jou dam se rand lyk darem hoog genoeg van die water af?....is dit nie hoog genoeg nie?
Back to top Go down
*ahmed*

*ahmed*

PostSubject: Re: Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ???   Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 12:19 pm

hi wayne

my afrikaans really sucks ...if i understood you correctly ...from the water level it is quite high ...so if this bugger gets in he'll have problem getting out.
my pond ranges from 90cm to bout 1.2m in dept. not too deep

and you right they cannot swim

Taken from wikipedia :
Hamerkops feed during the day, often taking a break at noon to roost. They normally feed alone or in pairs. The food is typical of long-legged wading birds, and the most important is amphibians. They also eat fish, shrimp,reptiles,eggs,baby birds,crabs,spiders, insects and rodents. They walk in shallow water looking for prey, possibly raking their feet on the bottom or suddenly opening their wings to flush prey out of hiding. They may also take prey while they fly, particularly tadpoles.[2]

think my fish are safe Smile
Back to top Go down
stumble

PostSubject: Re: Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ???   Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 12:26 pm

Chris Maritz wrote:
Yes you should worry.... The bird isn't sitting there admiring your koi, it wants to grab them.

lol! and dreaming of fish for dinner.
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ???   Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 12:49 pm

*ahmed* wrote:
hi wayne

my afrikaans really sucks ...if i understood you correctly ...from the water level it is quite high ...so if this bugger gets in he'll have problem getting out.
my pond ranges from 90cm to bout 1.2m in dept. not too deep

What i was trying to say is that i dont think he will be able to reach your fish as your pond edging is far enough from the water....so i am not sure if a net is needed. I Have heard stories about herons using the net to get closet to the fish. They go and sit on the net and then the net sags and then they can get to the fish.
Back to top Go down
Chris Maritz

Chris Maritz

PostSubject: Re: Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ???   Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 1:39 pm

The wall isn't high enough though.... You know how koi tend to go to the surface and swim around pecking on the edges for food?? What will happen if a koi doesn't notice this bird before the bird pecks it? Better safe that sorry....get a net.

Use bird netting though & not net that has holes the size of the swimming pool nets.
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ???   Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 2:32 pm

Hi Ahmed

If he is there his cousins, the ones that can swim, will be there shortly.
So I also think you should get a net. They will empty your pond in a day.
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ???   Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 2:49 pm

Dank vader ek het nie enige voeltjies by my dam nie....nie wat ek al gesien het nie. My 3 spaniels verjaag ook elke voel wat in my erf kom so ek dink ek is redelik veilig.
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ???   Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 10:59 pm

A general rule with this typ of bird is that they are not eager to take prey that are too far below their feet because it will unbalance him as he strikes and he will end in the water. They are waders not swimmers.

My koi sank to the bottom as soon as he appeared on the pond edge.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.tripwired.co.za/index.php
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ???   Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 9:24 am

They prefer frogs but will take a small fish if the opportunity arise.

I have heard that they do take a bath in ponds and are not afraid of getting wet.

Interesting about them is that they mimic frog calls to lure them out of their hiding places.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
*ahmed*

*ahmed*

PostSubject: Re: Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ???   Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 9:42 am

thats interesting paul ...cos when i did go out to check if all fish were there ...i did see 2 frogs at the pond
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ???   Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should I be Worried Bout this birdie ???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1