The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
pumps western 2011 baytril face Dimilin electricity dealers pond Bead bubble shape cape white foam growth salt show skin dropsy plants babies filter SPOTS plant food
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Help needed EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Help needed EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Help needed EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Help needed EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Help needed EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Help needed EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Help needed EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Help needed EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Help needed EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Help needed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Adi

Adi

Help needed Empty
PostSubject: Help needed   Help needed EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 9:31 am

Noticed yesterday some smaller fish are scraping and flashing, also noticed one jumping, one of the bigger fish also has some white marks.
All water paramaters are 100% with the salt maybe a bit on the low side....
Fish are still eating but seem a little slow........

think it could be flukes....any suggestions? Treat with a anti bac treatment? Still struggling to catch the fish........as the pond is deep and don't have my net operational yet. any suggestions.....?
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

Help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed   Help needed EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 9:53 am

Adi you need to do a scrape to be sure what it is. The white marks could just be the koi defendngs itself with muces buildups. Any change in the water parameters?
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
Adi

Adi

Help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed   Help needed EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 10:22 am

Nope water parameters stable and all ok!
Back to top Go down
Chris Maritz

Chris Maritz

Help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed   Help needed EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:16 am

Might be parasites but could be many other things. I would really advise you to do scrape and not just treat.

May I ask how many fish you have in your pond? I recall you having another problem not too long ago.

I also want to suggest maybe looking at a 1.1kW pump on a pond of your size (40000l) to increase the water turnover/flowrate. 0.75kW on a swimming pool that size is fine but a koi pond is very different. Our SF king runs a 1.1kW on a 10000l quarantine pond if I recall correctly??

1) Take scrape and treat for any parasites found.
2) Upgrade pump and filter system.

This is just my opinion and some might disagree with me.
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

Help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed   Help needed EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 12:10 pm

Hi Adi, I have to agree with Chris with 40000l pond volume and if you only run one .75 pump it will a turnover rate problem.

Allow me to share my experience when I made a stuff up recently. I started to increase feeding and the next minute my koi started flashing a lot. A scrape was done and no goggas was detected.
Whilst the koi was caught the air was turned off and I notice no more flashing. The minute the the air was back on, flashing started again and doc was visible in the water. The air was picking up the doc and throwing it up before settling to the bottom drain.
I then checked filter bay that was due cleaning 2 days back and found one of my 3 lines was not started properly after previous maintenance. ( ex one bottom drain) When things work so easy one gets over confident and then the mistakes are made. After a proper maintenance was done with all three systems running producing 42000 for a 32000l pond all is well again and problem solved.

So in summary I was 2 days late with maintenance, heavier feeding schedule and reduced my turnover rate by 15000l p/h due one line not operating, my koi started to feel uncomfortable and started to flash.

This was also a lesson for me not to medicate before a scrape is done
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

Help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed   Help needed EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 12:27 pm

Kois usually flash aswell just after having eaten. Not sure why but its a common sight.

I also made a stuff up 3 weeks ago. With the static K1 one has to bubble it with air so that all the debris and muck that it captured in the last few days can be released into the water.

One is then suppose to waste \ drain the water out...but i forgot to open and close the corect valves and went and switch the pumps on what happened then is that i sucked all the crappy water from the static k1 bay and pushed it back into my koi pond!!!

It took me about 1 and half weeks to get that out even after doing a HUGE water change. During that time the kois where flashing and jumping and not being happy. There was no parasites on them it was simply the fact that i pumped fine solids back into the water and that started to irritate the koi....so they started jumping and flashing. I added a dose of virkon s to the water to prevent a bacteria spike as high bacteria load invite parasites and the solids that i pumped back into the pond had the chance of just causing that. I could not see my bottom drain of my pond for atleast 3 days.

Water turnover. Everyone should endevour to have a turnover rate of atleast one every hour but its not always possible on bigger ponds of 50 000+ and so a once every 2 hours is also acceptable. Remember to take all the restiction of the filters and pipework into considration. One might think that the pump is turning the water over in 2hrs cause it has a x liters per hour rating when its actually doing it closer to 3 hours. That said one must then not feed too much on slower turnover ponds as the waste will accumulate faster than what the pump can take it out and that could result in other problems like stagnant areas in the pond where parasites and bacteria can start to live and accumulate. High bacteria loads invite parasites.

One must remember that not all parasites wants to eat your koi, some parasites are in the water because of high bacteria loads. These parasites eat bacteria. Trichodina is an example of such a parasite. This parasite will attach itself to the koi to eat the bacteria and its the way it attaches to the koi that is irritating the koi. After the parasite leaves the host to go and feed somewhere else the little wounds get infected and after infection sets in thats when fungus arrives. Fungus lives off dead and fermenting tissue.

Quote :
think it could be flukes....any suggestions? Treat with a anti bac treatment?
An anti bacterial product is going to do nothing to a parasite.

Post a pic for us of your koi with the white marks and lets see if we can help.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
Adi

Adi

Help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed   Help needed EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:31 pm

Thanx, will see if I can get a pic of the effected one....maybe its also just my imagination running wild, and having seen one flash and jump.....and yes they do it after feeding....call me paranoid.... Laughing
Yes struggled with green water, but thatw as solved.....added a UV water is crystal now can see bottom on deep side, at 2.1m......
Have been measuring all parameters and liek I said all stable......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed   Help needed Empty

Back to top Go down

Help needed

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1