The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
shape SPOTS filter dropsy plants dealers baytril Dimilin babies electricity show foam Bead bubble western clinofish plant pond growth face pumps cape salt 2011 small food
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
question about wet land on new pond EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
question about wet land on new pond EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
question about wet land on new pond EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
question about wet land on new pond EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
question about wet land on new pond EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
question about wet land on new pond EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
question about wet land on new pond EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
question about wet land on new pond EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
question about wet land on new pond EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

question about wet land on new pond

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stumble

question about wet land on new pond Empty
PostSubject: question about wet land on new pond   question about wet land on new pond EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 5:09 pm

I'm having a new concrete pond built and wondered if it was necessary to have a wetland. The guy building it is doing a seperate area for this with all the gravel, plants etc so the water passes through all this before returning to the pond. Is this really necessary if I have a settlement chamber and bio filter?
Its going to be a 10 000 liter pond, and I don't want more than 20 fish in it.
Back to top Go down
Jan

Jan

PostSubject: Re: question about wet land on new pond   question about wet land on new pond EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 6:39 pm

Firstly in 10000 ltr. rather plan for no more than 10 Koi.
A wetland is not necessarily a bad idea. Post a drawing of the whole setup including details of the settlement chamber and bio filter for everybody to evaluate.
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: question about wet land on new pond   question about wet land on new pond EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 9:00 pm

I have about 30 koi in 8000 liters and I can easily grow them to about 40cm in two years.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: question about wet land on new pond   question about wet land on new pond EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 7:59 am

Hi Jaco,

Bad advice to a novice!

I am working on an article about new ponds ( New Pond Syndrome), which will explain the matter of overstocking.

Stumble,
Rather start with less then 10 Koi!
Back to top Go down
stumble

PostSubject: Re: question about wet land on new pond   question about wet land on new pond EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 9:46 am

Oh I dont plan on starting with that many koi, but will build up to that. This will be my second pond.

I started with pond one, 10 years ago, have since moved so need to start again. I had so many big fish in my first pond, (very overstocked) and although it was stressful to make sure everything was okay, I never had any problems. The pond was in the sun and if the power went off, the fish started stressing pretty quickly. Looking back, I had done so many things wrong.
I dont have pics of this one yet, as it will only start being built next week, but the concerns I have with the wetland, is maintenance and attracting frogs. The pond builder seems to stress that its really necessary as bio filters dont take out the impurities that the plants do. (or so he says) Neutral

Another question. My first pond was cement, and we used superlaykhold to waterproof. Although I never had problems and it seemed to work well, I dont see it mentioned anywhere - so is that not the recommended way? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] This pond will be cement again, with the rock finish.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: question about wet land on new pond   question about wet land on new pond EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 12:02 pm

Superlaykold is cheap, but there are much better products available. See various discussions on sealers at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A Veggie filter works very well as an addition to a biofilter, but it all depends on the style of pond, formal/informal, space available and time available. It needs constant maintenance, but works very well in taking out all baddies, it combats algae growth, and can create a natural look and atmosphere and creates oxygen during day time.

However, it can also create a breeding ground for bad bacteria and parasites, it can cause problems with water flow as the plants grow with subsequent stagnant areas, it creates organic matter as dead leaves decay and therefore can put pressure on your biofilter, it can create a problem with frogs and can deplete oxygen during night time.

See also pros and cons of plants under the water plant section of the forum.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
stumble

PostSubject: Re: question about wet land on new pond   question about wet land on new pond EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 4:48 pm

Thanks Paul, you've helped me decide on a few things. I don't think I will go the wetland route, too much hassle for me, Cool also I will line the cement shell with black fibreglass. My last pond was huge maintenance, so hope to have a better designed pond this time.
Also I already have seeded filter media, as I have been running a small tank for some weeks now, with a few small koi, so hopefully its started to seed, which I can transfer to my main pond when its ready.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: question about wet land on new pond   question about wet land on new pond Empty

Back to top Go down

question about wet land on new pond

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1