The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
2011 plants baytril babies bubble show pond pumps electricity Bead plant dealers shape dropsy salt western growth food cape white Dimilin SPOTS skin filter face foam
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Some more of my fish - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Some more of my fish - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Some more of my fish - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Some more of my fish - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Some more of my fish - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Some more of my fish - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Some more of my fish - Page 2 EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Some more of my fish - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Some more of my fish - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Some more of my fish

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
albie

albie

Some more of my fish - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some more of my fish   Some more of my fish - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 5:58 pm

Just out of interest- what do people think of this one? I posted it previously, but did not get a lot of responses- we got side tracked. Jaco thinks it is a Kikusui. (Loolilocks AAA Imported)

Some more of my fish - Page 2 IMG_2009

Some more of my fish - Page 2 IMG_2010

Some more of my fish - Page 2 IMG_2012-2
Back to top Go down
Collin

Collin

PostSubject: Re: Some more of my fish   Some more of my fish - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 12:45 am

Hi Albie

Jaco is correct, it is a nice koi on my farm it will be graded as a A grade koi
Back to top Go down
http://www.orientkoi.com
Jan

Jan

PostSubject: Re: Some more of my fish   Some more of my fish - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 8:24 am

What is this Koi quality grading bulls$^&%?
I can accept grading from A downwards or 1 to 10 but AAA grade?
This reminds me; in the old days we could buy small, medium and large eggs now you only get large, extra large, jumbo and God knows what size egg.
During this week I incidentally walked into a store that amongst other things sold Koi; simply pond fish at an astronomical price for what they are worth. The store assistant could not even identify a single variety, on top of all; I was informed by said expert that these Koi are better than AAA grade because these are handpicked AAA grade imports. I was floored!
Now there is a new line for you dealers who import Koi from Japan, through an agent, or even better, if you hand pick them personally in Japan of all places!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some more of my fish   Some more of my fish - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 10:54 am

Hi Jan,

Now that’s the crap I am talking about, people are misled by stories like this.
The poor novice believes all this lies, spending a lot of money on poor Koi only to found later that they have been misinform.
The grade thing is a Western-thing, if I am not mistaken it was started in America.
Even a beginner could hand pick Koi, it means nothing!
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Some more of my fish   Some more of my fish - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 11:25 am

Albie regarding the koi above... i dont know what it is. Im not into metalics...if i had to guess i would say its a hariwake.

While i dont know anything regarding the type i would fall back onto the basics...body shape, skin quality, colour distribution.

1. Body shape - it can be the photo but the fish looks to short for its head size, which is something i have noticed a few times with doitsu variaties. The tail of this koi is also very thin.

2. The skin quality looks good.

3. The orange colour is not distruted evenly accross the body, most of the colour is sitting on the from half the koi.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Some more of my fish   Some more of my fish - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 1:00 pm

Hi Albie, it is a Kikusui.

It has a very nice background white with good metallic shine with no dirty spots, which is quite important on Kikusui's.

At this stage it looks very nice.

However, the Hi is not very deep and is already starting to fade. Look at the lefthandside of the main pattern. In a year's time, the pattern will be much smaller and not as red or it might break up, and the pattern close to the tail will probably disappear. Remember that doitsu fish loose their colours more easily.

As Wayne said, the pattern is unbalanced(mainly on the front) and not interesting.

I also have a problem with it's bodyshape. It is typical of a small koi that were kept in a dealer or breeder's fairly small pond pending the sale.

The red over the eye is a demerit and it has no tail stop (Adome)

It is a nice pond fish and nothing more in my opinion. What did you pay if I may ask?

Last edited by Admin on Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Some more of my fish   Some more of my fish - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 2:35 pm

Remember I bought it as a guinea pig to put it in my new pond, liked it and put some of my other fish in. I am not sure of the price, but somewhere less than R200, but I would guess at that stage about 10cm.

I just placed these photos to indicate that our novices struggle to buy relatively good fish and do not always get the correct advice from the dealers.

And now I will need to remove my Avatar- can't walk into any koi business anymore!!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Some more of my fish   Some more of my fish - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 3:02 pm

albie wrote:
somewhere less than R200,

Fairly reasonable although a bit steep for a 10cm.

The safest option is to buy larger. They change so much during their first growing season and it is always a gamble at that age. Even dealers can also not always predict what it is going to do at that age/size, and if a fish turns out bad, it is not always the dealers mistake.

This is one of the reasons why Nisai are so much more expensive than Tosai, at least then you know more or less what you are getting, especially with local bred unknown breeders.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: Some more of my fish   Some more of my fish - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 3:40 pm

You get good cheap koi, but you don't get a good koi cheap.
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Some more of my fish   Some more of my fish - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 4:11 pm

Onthou net- hierdie was 'n kamekazi koi en ek wou nie die wereld spandeer op nog 'n vis wat moontlik kan doodgaan nie! So ek het nie iets uitsonderlik verwag nie, MAAR, die vis is as 'n AAA Imported vir ons leke geadverteer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some more of my fish   Some more of my fish - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Some more of my fish

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2