The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
babies pond show plants dealers shape Bead white Dimilin food growth pumps western cape face foam filter skin SPOTS 2011 baytril salt dropsy electricity plant bubble
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
pump - Filtration set-up EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
pump - Filtration set-up EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
pump - Filtration set-up EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
pump - Filtration set-up EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
pump - Filtration set-up EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
pump - Filtration set-up EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
pump - Filtration set-up EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
pump - Filtration set-up EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
pump - Filtration set-up EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Filtration set-up

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jack Bach

pump - Filtration set-up Empty
PostSubject: Filtration set-up   pump - Filtration set-up EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 8:11 pm

Some advice please :
After reading some recent postings on filtration on the Forum, I have some doubts as to whether my installation is correctly done. The pond has been running since mid July, and I am experiencing problems with water clarity. There seems to be quite a bit of suspended material in the water, but I can see the bottom. There is some of this loose floating algae in the water.
Some basic info :
Pond 15000 lt (Depth 1,300).
2 x 110mm bottom drains, leading to 800 l settlement chamber.
Pump ,35 Speck (drawing from Settlement chamber and weir).
From pump water leads to 3 bag koi sandfilter > 35w UV light > splits to 2 x 25 l Ultrazap Biofilters with Alfagrog media.
Then back to pond through 3 inlets (one approx. 350 from bottom, the other 350 from surface, and a venturi above water level).
Replaced UV globe 2 months ago.
Replaced filter sand ( 3-5mm ) 3 weeks ago.
Do water changes 2 - 3 times per week, to counter rising ammonia and nitrite levels. Backwash every 2nd day...and get my hands dirty once a week.
Aquazyme is added after every water change. Salt = 2,5%.
Stocking level : 13 koi between 40 - 80 cm and 9 of between 10 - 12cm. Will be moving some to another pond by January when I have completed my 2nd pond.
Some fish seem lethargic, and some are flashing. In the morning they seem to 'school' near the bottom inlet - facing it.

Should UV be placed after Biofilters?
Is ,35 pump good enough?
Will Zeolite in sandfilter solve some of my problems?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Marius Bezuidenhout

Marius Bezuidenhout

PostSubject: Re: Filtration set-up   pump - Filtration set-up EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 9:10 pm

You can place UV anywhere in the system. Mine is before the filter but if possible place it after the filter to have less restrictions and more ‘pure’ water passing it.

Buy Matala sheets. It is great and hardly any restrictions in water flow. Don’t confuse it with sponges in the way people use it in tropical tanks. It is way different and try to use the biggest pipe size you can find. Eskom is expensive so make the most of what you can change.

I used 3 x 55W UV's in a 30kL pond but switched it off afer about a year when pond settled
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Filtration set-up   pump - Filtration set-up EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 9:15 am

Hi Jack,

Your pump is too small!
This give rise to a slow water turn over of the pond water, and it is also too weak to lift the sand in the sand filter during a back wash.
I would change to a 1.1kW pump although a .75 kW should do the trick.

You are over stock, and this contributes to the poor filtration, starting with the weak pump and water turn over!
Back to top Go down
Jack Bach

PostSubject: Re: Filtration set-up   pump - Filtration set-up EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 12:18 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I incorrectly said that I have a ,35 pump, while it is in fact a ,45 Speck Magic 8. But I gather from your reply Pieter, that I would nevertheless need to install a bigger one.
Other than my stocking density, does the sequence in which I have set up my system seem OK? I am going to build another pond, which will address the stocking issue.
How would I install Matala sheets in my current setup? Vertically in settlement chamber between bottom drains' inflow and pick-up to pump. If so, how does one secure them in position? Stainless steel frame / grid?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Filtration set-up   pump - Filtration set-up EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 1:07 pm

Jack,

Quote :
How would I install Matala sheets in my current setup?

What for? There is nothing wrong with the system set up as is! Just replace the pump!
Back to top Go down
Marius Bezuidenhout

Marius Bezuidenhout

PostSubject: Re: Filtration set-up   pump - Filtration set-up EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 1:09 pm

I use 2 Black Matala sheets and an Ezbio 90 pre-filter in my settlement chamber. I installed them vertical between pump and drains/skimmer and clean those 1s a week. Simply pull the sheets out and move them up and down in settlement chamber. You can pump all the dirt to waste before you fit them again. In fact I never clean the leaf basket on my main pump since it stays clean. (Use my second pump for the draining part)

You don’t need any support for the sheets, just cut them to size to fit in chamber. I was lucky since my chambers are 1.2m wide and the sheets come in 1m x 1.2m sizes.

Some people fit 40 x 40mm plastic electrical ducting on the chamber walls to slide the sheets in and out. If the chamber is deeper than the height of the sheets I would then rather use 2 x Ezbio pre-filters. (Do away with the sheets) You can remove then weekly to clean with a hosepipe.

They work great and put much less stress on the rest of your filter system. Easy to clean and very durable.

http://www.matalausa.com

Matala Ezbio Filter is also very suitable to be installed before the Sand / High Pressure system to avoid frequent clogging problem.

http://www.kingkoi.co.za/PondFilters/EZBIO.php
Back to top Go down
Jack Bach

PostSubject: Re: Filtration set-up   pump - Filtration set-up EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 2:24 pm

OK....now I'm confused!! Please bear with me as I am very new to this hobby.
I've been on the Speck website and have extracted the following:
My current pump Badu Magic 8 is appropriate for 12000 lph in a 2 bag sandfilter. They recommend this for a 30,000 - 55,000 litre pond.
The ,75 Badu Porpoise 16 pumps 20,000 lph (for a 3 bag filter) and is recommended for a 50,000 l plus pool.
Taking into consideration that I have a 15,000 l pond, my pond should be currently turning over every 75 minutes or so. Won't the bigger pump turn my pond into a washing machine?
Can't I change my mechanical filtration....Zeolite instead of sand or other mechanical media...or replace the sandfilter with a totally different mechanical filter? I see that there are many anti-sandfilter postings on the Forum.
Back to top Go down
Jan

Jan

PostSubject: Re: Filtration set-up   pump - Filtration set-up EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 3:07 pm

I see you run a three bag filter. A swimming pool supplier informed me that at least a a 0,75 KW pump is needed for a three bag filter on a pool.
Jack Bach wrote:
Can't I change my mechanical filtration....Zeolite instead of sand or other mechanical media...or replace the sandfilter with a totally different mechanical filter? I see that there are many anti-sandfilter postings on the Forum.
I for one don’t use a sand filter but be wary; you are looking for trouble. The last time I crossed the SF man he he sent me this threat; “I KEEL YOU”!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Filtration set-up   pump - Filtration set-up EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 3:13 pm

Jack,

Quote :
My current pump Badu Magic 8 is appropriate for 12000 lph in a 2 bag sandfilter. They recommend this for a 30,000 - 55,000 litre pond.
The ,75 Badu Porpoise 16 pumps 20,000 lph (for a 3 bag filter) and is recommended for a 50,000 l plus pool.
Taking into consideration that I have a 15,000 l pond, my pond should be currently turning over every 75 minutes or so. Won't the bigger pump turn my pond into a washing machine?

That calculation is without and pipe bends in any filter system, you can’t work according to that!
Anyway the more turnover gives the fish the illusion that they stay in the moving water of a river which in turns encourages growth and appetite.
Just for interest, I have a .75kW pump on my Quarantine pond of 6000lt, and a 1,1kW pump on my 10 000lt pond without any problems.

Quote :
I see that there are many anti-sandfilter postings on the Forum.

Sure there are two camps, better classified as the lazy bunch and the active bunch, and guesses who are the lazy crowd!?
Nothing clean water like a sand filter!

PS. Don’t believe everything you read or heard........................or see for that matter these days!

Jan,

You talking to me?

pump - Filtration set-up Achmed
Back to top Go down
Adi

Adi

PostSubject: Re: Filtration set-up   pump - Filtration set-up EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 3:59 pm

Just a thought, instead of replacing the pump, how about adding a pump? In such a way that either pump can operate? Then in case of a breakdown, you have a back-up.
Back to top Go down
Adi

Adi

PostSubject: Re: Filtration set-up   pump - Filtration set-up EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 4:00 pm

and on the SF issue, added one to my pond, and it definitly makes a large difference.
Back to top Go down
Jack Bach

PostSubject: Re: Filtration set-up   pump - Filtration set-up EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 4:53 pm

Thanks again for the replies....I guess I go with the bigger pump...or get "keeled" and risk receiving any further advice form the expert(s)!
Pump recommendations? Speck Badu 1.1kW? Other 'good' pumps?
I see SAPlastikor in Pretoria have the ,75 @ R1249 and the 1,1 @ R1449 listed on their website. Good prices?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Filtration set-up   pump - Filtration set-up EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 5:02 pm

Jack,

Good thinking! Laughing

All my pumps are Quality Pumps, they have a bigger catch-basket then the other pumps. Some six years old and still running!

.75 kW +/- R 1000
1,1kW +/- R 1450
Back to top Go down
Jack Bach

PostSubject: Sandfilter : Maintenance   pump - Filtration set-up EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 10:16 am

Now that I have a sandfilter set-up, how does one maintain it properly? I do regular normal backwashes, and some 'hand-stirring' once a week. My question : When one opens the lid, the control valve is set on backwash, switch on power, and the dirty water with muck overflows. For how long does one keep stirring - rule of thumb? Although the water becomes clearer, there are still particles of muck in it. For how long do you backwash in this mode? After sealing the lid again, do you do a 'normal' backwash and rinse.
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: Filtration set-up   pump - Filtration set-up EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 8:48 am

Jack,

My rule of thumb is, they say you need to do a 10 - 15% water change every week, this therefore is the amount I backwash and rinse every week. I honeslt dont think the water will come out 100% clear unless you probably backwash the entire pond out Laughing

I backwash and rinse normally once a week and then once a month I open up the lid and backwash and rinse this way while stiring the top with a stick, do it this way since Jaco warned me of getting shocked, and I'm a big pissie when it comes to getting shocked...lol....also I dont find it necessary to backwash and rinse after you replace the lid and with the lid open I'm sure you're getting the same kind of bckwash and rinse with the lid on.

I have a 3 bag sand filter and in it 2 bags of 3-5mm koi sand with 1 bag zeolite on the top. The zeolite is light so with normal backwashes it breaks up easily inside in anycase.

This is just my process that I follow and till now which is 4 months later I have had pretty crystal clear water.
Back to top Go down
Jack Bach

PostSubject: New pump   pump - Filtration set-up EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 11:24 pm

Pieter, you may be pleased to hear that I have replaced my , 45 Speck witha a ,75 Quality. As per your advice, I liked the idea of a larger pump basket Quality provides. Cost R1180 - and worth every cent!
The difference is astounding!
Water is very clear, and I can see the bottom - and debris - in detail.
The fish are far more active and have far greater appetites.
Thanks to Pieter, and all who had a contribution to make to addressing my problem! Appreciated.
Now I need to reconnect my feed from the weir, and connect the small waterfall.
Great advice abounds on this Forum. I can't imagine anyone building a pond without having access to the helpful responses from the members on this site!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Filtration set-up   pump - Filtration set-up EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 11:34 am

Hi Jack,

I am pleased to hear that you are happy with the changes to your pond, remember all Koi forums are there so that Koi lovers can help and assist each other.

Happy Koi keeping!
Back to top Go down
koicare

koicare

PostSubject: Re: Filtration set-up   pump - Filtration set-up EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 8:04 pm

Hi Jack

I would just like to point out something that I noticed about your thread.

A 0.75kw pump on average pumps around 350 lt per min...

A 30W UV can only handle a maximum pressure of 140lt per min.... I see that you go straight through the UV before the split to the 2 bio-filters...

Also a 25lt bio filter (if you have one from Ultrazap) can only handle a max of 100 to 150 lt of water per minute. You have split your line into 2 which helps but you are still exceeding the maximum pressure allowable through the biofilters...

I hope that you do not have any problems in the long term with this! I have seen many biofilter lids explode as well as UV's.....

If it were me I would split your water further, again be careful not to create back pressure on either the Biofilters or the UV.

Sorry! Just what I picked up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Filtration set-up   pump - Filtration set-up EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 9:00 pm

Hi Jack,

Moenie worry nie, daar gaan niks gebeur nie!

I know what I am talking about. I am running sand filters and UltraZap Bio Filters for years now, without any blow-ups and I am running 1,1kW pumps!
People that don’t use or know sand filter set-ups should keep quiet and stick to what they practice!

You are most welcome to visit me, to see for yourself.
Back to top Go down
Jan

Jan

PostSubject: Re: Filtration set-up   pump - Filtration set-up EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 9:11 pm

Interesting Koicare
I recently purchased a .45 pump complete with 30w UV manufactured by a reputable local manufacturer.
I will surely inform you and everybody else of the BURST when it happens!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Filtration set-up   pump - Filtration set-up EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 9:16 pm

Hi Jan,

beslis nie in ons twee se leeftyd nie Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Filtration set-up   pump - Filtration set-up Empty

Back to top Go down

Filtration set-up

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Koi Forum :: Filtration :: All your questions about filtration answered-